This post contains affiliate links.
Ya’ll I had the BEST time at Bloggy Boot Camp!!!
If you are thinking about going to a blog conference this would be the one to go to! For me, this was the perfect first blog conference. I knew five other people going and it was a one day thing. A one day thing that I learned an overwhelming amount of information that I am still trying to process!!
Have no fear though…I will share this information with you, it just may take me a while!
First things first, I wanted to share with you the top 10 things I learned during my trip!
1. Getting there is half fun. Technically this was learned on the way to Bloggy Boot Camp but you get the idea. If you have never spent 24 hours in a car with your blog friends I highly suggest it!
2. Calories don’t count at blog conferences. I mean with all of the awesome sponsors there…Brew Over Ice, Salsarita’s, Mirassou…and all of the fabulous meals eaten out who has time to count calories?!
3. Stay true to yourself. Don’t take on sponsored posts that don’t apply to your life or your blog. I’m a single, child-less adult. I would never review diapers or baby products.
4. Find your tribe. Find the 4 or 5 other bloggers you work well with. Usually your tribe are people in the sane stage of blogging and life as you are. I was lucky enough to already know this going in and I think I have the best tribe out there!!
5. Utilize ALL of your resources. Most of us are already on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+ but are we making the most of them? Probably not! Do your research and figure out the best times to post. Personally Google+ intimidates me but I’m going to suck it up and learn!
6. Where you put your attention is where you will get your results. -Tiffany Romero I agree 100% with this statement. It’s pretty self explanatory too.
7. WordPress vs Blogger This will probably be a whole blog post on it’s own but I can tell you that I am seriously considering switching to WordPress.
8. Pin Pretty. Most bloggers don’t utilize Pinterest properly either. Make the pictures on your blog pretty and ready to pin. I have gone back through a lot of old posts and made them more pinnable (is that even a word??).
Shameless plug aka find this tutorial here.
9. What is your end game? This question was asked a lot! Know what your goal for blogging is! Do you want to be published? Be a social media manager? Get your own reality show? Know your goals and work towards them!
10. Be NICE or go HOME! -Tiffany Romero
This was our closing statement and it is soooo true! I quoted Tiffany a LOT but to me she is a blogging celebrity. Tiffany has the BEST blogging advice and just tells it like it is. I hope I can be like her one day.
Rachel's Country Roots says
I love that last one so much!
There are so many prints in that photo – you can spot bloggers from a MILE away. =) (You guys all look awesome, of course!)
I’d be interested in your thoughts on utilizing Google+ too once you learn more. I have a personal one, but I guess I never felt like using it heavily for my blog because people don’t really use it.
Chelsee @ Southern Beauty Guide says
I love the last pic! Hopefully I can make it to next years..to think you came through GA and I didn’t get to meet you girls…so sad lol
Sara B. says
I am so glad you had fun and I am so jealous that I didn’t get to go! Boo! But, this is a great post, thanks for sharing what you learned. I have Google+ account and have tried to use it, but I still just don’t “get it”. So, if you figure out that bugger let me know. Also, I have tried WordPress before and had a hard time with it as well, so again, it you figure it out, please share!
Faith Bowyer says
This looks like a lot of fun.
The last point is SPOT ON. This should also be a rule in life. Rude people can just go away.
Katie J says
I agree with everything you posted. It was a great conference and so much to take in and think about! It was so nice meeting you and your tribe there :)
I have such a crush on you!
It was so fun to meet my twitter buddy in real life. You have such a wonderful energy around you.
Can’t WAIT to see you in Dallas!!!
Molly Kay says
Thank you so much for sharing!! Totally in the same Google+ boat…. I don’t understand it at all!
Amy @ Living n Learning says
Looks like you learned a lot! Thanks for sharing your new found knowledge. :)
Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com says
Love love love this! I agree with everything! You are an awesome blogger friend! If you need some recommendations for WordPress transfer, I knew a few people. :)
I wish there was a blogging boot camp in my area.. i really highly doubt there is. Thanks for sharing your tips. I switched to wp this past week!
life...just saying says
Def a goal to go to a blogging boot camp! Need a tribe. WANT a tribe! Must get more understanding about Google+…no really! I know I’m switching to WordPress…when and how? Thanks for sharing your wisdom.
I love reading the reviews that everyone has been posting about Bloggy Bootcamp. This was a really good one, too! It is now a definite goal in my life to attend one of these some year.
These are great takeaways from the conference – love all of these points. It sounds like it was such an amazing event, would love to go one day! Thank you for sharing what you learned!
Carli Alice says
Wonderful experience! I have really learned, on my own, about being more selective towards sponsored posts. It really makes a difference in your blog and the integrity of if.
Happy Saturday Sharefest!
Lisa Newlin says
Excellent tips…especially the last one. I hate when people are mean and not supportive of other bloggers. It’s stupid to push each other down. There’s enough room in the blogosphere for all of us!
And switch to WordPress. I was on blogger for almost 2 years and switched a few months ago. It will suck at first, because it’s different, but it’s easy and you will catch on quickly. It’s so much easier to use to manage your blog.
The sooner you switch, the better. Just do it. :-)
FYI: I”m visiting from the SITS Sharefest. :-)
Kamila Gornia says
Great tips! I wish I went to the bootcamp, I’ve read a few posts about it and it sounds so great!
Hopping over from SITS sharefest! :) Great blog!
Have a lovely weekend.
Fun fun fun!!! I so want to go to a bootcamp some time. It looks like you learned so much and had a great time.
a happier girl says
I love reading about BBC! I have been wanting to go to one but never seem to get up the nerve!