This post contains affiliate links.
Last week I decided to get back in the kitchen and make a big ole pot of soup. I’m pretty sure we all know at this point that I am a self precessed soup-aholic. I can’t help it. I love them so!
I was going to whip up my go-to Chicken Tortilla Soup and at the last minute decided to branch out and try The Pioneer Woman’s recipe. I have never tried one of her recipes before so I was excited!! Her recipe was a little bit different that mine and I loved it!!
I didn’t make it exactly according to her recipe, hers has actual corn tortillas cut up and in the soup but I was going for a more carb friendly version. I believe that’s the only thing I changed. I’m sure it tasted even better that way.
Here is the recipe:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 2 bell peppers chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 10oz can rotel
- 1 32oz chicken broth
- 1 8oz can tomato paste
- 4 cups water
- 1 14oz can black beans drained
- 3 tbsp corn meal
- Preheat oven to 350*. Put chicken breasts on baking sheet and drizzle olive oil all over them. Take about half of your taco seasoning and rub all over the chicken and bake for 20-25 min (until done). When chicken is done shred and place to the side to cool.
- Put bell peppers, onion, and garlic in a big pot with some olive oil and sauté. Add in the rest of your taco seasoning packet when veggies start getting soft.
- When veggies are sautéed add chicken in and mix up really well.
- Add rotel, chicken broth, tomato paste, water, and black beans to mix and bring to a boil. After soup boils bring to a simmer and let simmer uncovered for about 45 minutes.
- Mix cornmeal with a small amount of water. Pour into the soup, then simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Check seasonings, adding more if needed.
- You can top with whatever toppings you like…my faves are sour cream, shredded cheese, onions, and crushed up tortilla chips!
What is your favorite soup recipe??
Leave a Reply