This post contains affiliate links.
I gave up sodas/cokes last year as one of my New Year Resolutions and I am glad to say that for the most part I have really stuck with it. I drink water 95% of the time now with the occasional coffee/frappe or juice thrown into the mix. Don’t get me wrong, I have always been a water drinker but now that I drink it almost exclusively I almost can’t stand to drink anything else.
Before I became an exclusive water drinker I was on a 3-4 Diet Coke a day habit!! I am almost too ashamed to write that!! It’s no wonder I felt so blah all the time, I was dehydrated and full of sodium and fake sugar! I was tired all the time and so so so thirsty all the time and so I just kept drinking more! I had truly forgotten what it felt like to have my thirst quenched by some good ole plain water.
One thing I will never understand is when people say they hate the taste of water?! How can you hate something that makes up about 60% of your body?? Craziness!!
So today I am going to share with you my top seven reasons to drink more water and the effect it has on your body!!
- Since our bodies are made up of 60% water you literally need it to live or you will die. Plain and simple.
- The skin is the largest organ on the human body. You need to drink plenty of water in order for it to stay hydrated and for it to keep regenerating by aiding in new cell growth. If a smooth, glowy completion is your goal then you need to up your water consumption!
- Waste management. Your body needs water to help flush it out and this includes flushing by way of urine and sweat.
- Increased water consumption helps with constipation by aiding in the dissolution of fats and fiber.
- A lot of headaches are caused by dehydration and the only way to help with that is to drink more water and stay hydrated!
- Drinking a full glass of water before each meal has been shown to make you feel fuller and therefore you won’t overeat and maybe shed a pound or two?!
- Drinking water has been shown to elevate your mood by clearing out the “brain fog”and helping you to think more clearly.
My favorite TV trainer Chris Powell has always recommended that you drink half your body weight in ounces of water a day and I fully agree with him! So if you weigh 100 lbs then you need to drink 50 ounces of water per day. To some people this may seem like a lot of water at first but you get used to it, and of course the increased number of trips to the bathroom! HA!
Drinking this amount of water daily is extremely important in helping your body function properly and makes you just feel good!! I know I feel so much better after drinking water!!
Are you a water drinker??
Do you drink enough water a day??