This post contains affiliate links.
Today is the day folks. I am working half a day and then Sophie and I are headed out!! We are driving halfway to my Grandparents house and staying the night and then finishing the drive tomorrow. My Grandparents will keep the little Soph-meister while I am living it up on the road with my bestie.
Tonight Sophie and I are staying at a La Quinta Inn. Did you know that pets stay FREE at La Quintas?? I sure didn’t but was very pleased to not have to pay an enormous pet fee in addition to paying an arm and a leg for a least minute room. It’s the small things in life…
I have been road tripping to my Grandparent’s house for the past few summers now, it’s a 9-10 hour drive from my house, and so I feel like I know a thing or two about road trips at this point so today I decided to share with you some of my road trip must haves. Keep in mind that I am a single lady with a dog so if I had kids this would be a completely different list.
1. Audiobook- I love to read but I don’t have time like I used to so I “check out” audiobooks from my local library. I say “check-out” but really I just downed them onto an app on my phone and plug my phone up to my car. It’s a brilliant idea if I do say so myself! Right now I am finishing up The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty and I have Fly Away by Kristin Hannah in the queue ready to go!!
2. Playlist- Although I mostly listen to audiobooks when I drive it’s always good to have a backup playlist for when I get tired and am about to fall asleep. lately I have been listening to anything by Maroon 5 or the Magic Mike 2 soundtrack.
3. Snacks- Another thing I do when I get sleepy is eat a snack. If I am munching on something, I am awake. My go-to snacks for this trip are Nutri-Grain bars, mini chocolate donuts (don’t judge), iced animal cookies ( a road trip staple), and flavored peanuts. It will be a little bit more challenging this year since I am wearing Invisalign but that will just make me wonder if I really do need a snack that bad. LOL!!
4. Water- I always have an ice chest in the car with me on road trips because I am always drinking something in the car. I keep it in the front passenger floor board so it’s easily accessible.
5. Spark/Slam- Sometimes the road gets boring and I need a little energy boost so I am bring a few of my fave flavors of Spark and Slam to keep me going.
6. Oil- I’m talking about engine oil here. My Dad always said never to travel anywhere without extra oil so I always have that with me. Along with some Fix-a-Flat, tire pressure gauge, and my roadside assistance card. I am nothing if but prepared.
7. Phone charger- I have one that pretty much just stays in the car but it’s always good to mention. I also carry an external charger in case I should wind up somewhere without access to a wall outlet.
8. Aleve- I keep a tiny bottle in the console because you never know when a headache will hit.
9. Sunnies- Gotta keep those eyes protected!
10. Umbrella- There is nothing I hate worse than getting caught in a storm and not having an umbrella so I always keep one in the car.
And last, but not least, a bestie to travel with you!! I will be picking mine up tomorrow and we will hit the road on Wednesday. I can’t freaking wait!!!
What are your road trip must haves??